Slant Press! Launching March 15th, 2018
I am so excited to announce the official launch of Slant Press on March 15th, 2018!
For those of you who know me, you know that I've been kicking this idea around for a while, and I'm thrilled to bring it into the world.
As a freelance Illustrator and Graphic Designer, I have had the pleasure of working on creative projects large and small and have facilitated the development of others creative visions throughout my career. In that time technology has enabled us to vastly expand the definition of an artist and the role of the creative in society, as well as allowing for unparalleled connection to new audiences around the world. It's truly a wonderful time to be an artist.
And yet, being an artist will never be an easy career choice. The profit margins are low, the expectations are high, and there is an ever present doubt that perhaps it's frivolous, or narcissistic, or extraneous. It is pure and unadulterated love for their craft that keeps an artist working to capture beauty and share it with the world, and that love is what brings me here today.
With the speeding up of our world and our production processes, I find that I become more enamored with the tactile, hand produced nature of analog printing processes, and the more fiercely I work to learn, preserve, and teach them. With hand printing (including screen printing, block printing, and letterpress) every item is considered and appraised by the artist in a process that is both efficient, and personal, resulting in a one of a kind product that shines with slight subtleties in texture and pressure. The process is fueled by love of the craft and an appreciation for the unique and slightly strange.
At Slant Press, I would like to share my own creative vision with you. It may start small, and it may be a long, windy road, but this is what I see:
- First and foremost, beautiful, handcrafted art and products that utilize analog printing processes, designed and printed by yours truly. This is a one woman operation until further notice.
- Functional art for your home. Something beautiful that you can use everyday that doesn't require a frame.
- Apparel that makes you feel like you are the high priestess of a trans-dimensional woodland empire.
- Content that is interesting and shows you something new about yourself or the world around you.
- Workshops to stuff your brain with delicious printing/creative/business related learning. YUM!
- Products from artisans I admire that uphold a high standard of hands-on production and look/taste/smell/feel/ARE friggin' BADASS!
Oh, just one more thing. I'm not a "fake it till you make it" kinda girl. I tried it, it feels weird. The truth is that, while I have been an artist/craftsperson since I was a zygote, the business thing...not so much. So in the process of setting up this business, learning, flailing, and succeeding, I'll probably end up sharing a lot of my process and thoughts with you, and be asking for your thoughts in return. I hope that we can get to know one another in the process.